Monday, September 6, 2010

Avast! And Read This!

Ahoy Readers! 
How be ye landlubbers today? Swab the decks or walk the plank! 
Okay, that’s the extent of my pirate vocabulary. Apparently I should have paid better attention to that Pippi Longstocking movie I watched while babysitting the other day … 
Either way, wondering why we’re talking about pirates today? It’s because A.S. King, one of our awesome TBF 2010 authors returning for TBF 2011, is upset about pirates. 
But Amy is not upset about “Yo-Ho-Ho-And-A-Bottle-Of-Rum” pirates; she’s upset about Internet pirates. Internet pirates who are stealing her books! She writes about these Internet pirates on her always-entertaining blog. Read this entry first, and then read this one. There is no way that I will be able to say anything about Internet pirates as eloquently and entertainingly as Amy has, but I did want to draw your attention to the issue, readers. 
We all love to read and we all love our favorite authors, so let’s remember that “free” ebook downloads online might sound cool, but they’re not. They mean that we’re robbing our favorite authors of well-deserved royalty payments and that we’re disrespecting our favorite authors. When you download for free, you’re saying, “I want to read your book, but I don’t really care if you’re not getting paid.” And we all want our favorite authors to get paid. Because if they don’t, they may not be able to afford the time or resources needed to write. 
This was kind of a downer post, but it’s important stuff! And I promise that the next post will be way more exciting because … up next? An advance review of the highly-anticipated “Please Ignore Vera Dietz” by A.S. King. Keep checking back!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Carly,

    It's Torrey Maldonado (a participating author).

    Here's a 4 minute youtube video of me reading at the Brooklyn Book Festival.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okz6OJDJ1H8

    I can't wait for the 6th Annual Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Torrey! I will put up an official post containing this video in the next few days. Check back for it!

    ReplyDelete