Thursday, April 14, 2011

Interview Marathon Day 2 - Ellen Hopkins

Hola, Readers!

The Carly Reads Interview Marathon continues … with Ellen Hopkins!

Carly Reads: Your books are so unique in that they’re written in verse.  How did you decide to write your novels in verse?
Ellen Hopkins: I started my first novel, “Crank,” in prose, but the voice was all wrong. My voice, not "Kristina's." I put the book away and saw another verse novelist, Sonya Sones, speak at a conference. I've written poetry most of my life, so decided to give it a try. It worked for “Crank,” and then I discovered a talent for it.

CR: I’ve heard you say that some of the characters in  “Tricks” are based on young people that you’ve met in ‘real life.’ Do you often find inspiration for characters in real people?
EH: All the time. Some I know. Some I interview. Some I just observe.

CR: You’ve been to TBF multiple times! What is it about TBF that has you returning year after year?
EH: It's just such a great event, from the exceptional organizers, to the lineup of authors, to the wonderful reception we receive every year. I always have an amazing time.

CR: What five books are on your list of “Favorite Books Ever”?
EH: “The Great Gatsby,” “Sometimes a Great Notion,” “Catcher in the Rye,” “Of Mice and Men,” and “The World According to Garp.”


CR: What author are you most looking forward to meeting and/or seeing at the Sixth Annual TBF?
EH: That's a really hard question because I'm connecting with several friends there, plus meeting a number of Twitter buddies for the first time. But Terry Trueman is always a hoot to be around, and I always look forward to seeing  him.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my interview questions, Ellen.  Looking forward to seeing you soon (29 days)!



No comments:

Post a Comment