Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Jenny Han and the Interview


Hello Readers,

Jenny Han is one of our TBF returners – she attended in 2009 as part of our New Author Panel. I love all her books, but especially her Summer series. I’m so glad that she agreed to be interviewed for the TBF blog, and I’m so excited to share her interview with you. So without further ado …

Carly Reads: This summer, the conclusion of your “Summer” trilogy was published? Was this a bittersweet occurrence? I know that even though you left them all in a good place, your readers will miss Belly, Conrad, and Jeremiah, do you feel the same way? Jenny Han: Definitely bittersweet. I was tearing up as I wrote the end. I've spent several years with these characters, and it was sad to let them go – but I do feel like they are in a good place. In my head, the story is never really over, the characters live on and on.

CR: In addition to your “Summer” series, you’ve also written a middle grade book, “Shug,” and a children’s book, “Clara Lee and the Apple Pie Dream.” How does writing for teens differ from writing for younger readers? JH: It actually didn't feel so very different. I worked equally hard on all the books-- in fact, “Clara Lee” took me the longest to write because I felt every word had to be just right because it's such a little book. Sort of in the same way a poem isn't easier to write just because it's short.

CR: Are you working on any new projects (new books!) that you can tell us about? JH: Yes! I am working on a new series with my BFF Siobhan Vivian. It's called “Burn for Burn,” and it's about three high school girls who take revenge on the people that have wronged them. It takes place on a Martha's Vineyard-type island... so of course we have to do lots of in person research! :)

CR: What was your favorite book when you were a teenager? JH: A tie between “The Prince of Tides” and “Gone With the Wind.” I loved sweeping Southern love stories.

CR: What author are you most looking forward to meeting/seeing at the Seventh Annual Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival? JH: So many of the authors attending are already friends of mine – and it's always so good to see friends! Most of all, I am looking forward to meeting all the teens.

Thank you so much for taking the time to allow me to interview you, Jenny! I’m looking forward to seeing you again in May.


No comments:

Post a Comment