Friday, May 11, 2012

Katie Reads!

What’s up, readers?

I’m INSANELY busy right now with graduation from college (!) and getting ready for TBF 2012! So it’s a good thing I have some guest bloggers to pick up the slack for me – enjoy this post by another of Dr. Jones’ graduate students, Katie!

My name is Katie Navarro and I am a graduate student at Nazareth College. I am taking a course in young adult literature, and have really been enjoying the opportunity to read some fantastic authors who will be at the Teen Book Festival! I teach in the Fairport School District, and although I have taught at many different grade levels, middle school is my favorite! One of the first novels I read for class was “The Candidates” by Inara Scott. I am a big fan of the “Twilight” series, and this novel has a similar feel which is why I would love to share more about it!

Have you ever felt like you wanted to go to a school where you could just start over and be yourself without so many complications or secrets? Delcroix Academy gives that opportunity in Inara Scott’s novel “The Candidates.” The main character, Dancia Lewis, quite frankly, feels like … a loser. From the very beginning of this novel, we learn quite a bit about Dancia, but there is still a lot to discover.

Here is what we do know:
1. Danca Lewis is a 14-year-old girl
2. Her parents died when she was young
3. She lives with her grandmother in a small two bedroom house
4. They do not have a lot of money
5. She has no friends
6. A school called Delcroix Academy is trying to recruit her, but the school is only for rich students with special talents
7. The student recruiter is "hot" (according to Dancia)
8. She has some sort of special power where she hurts people who are being rude to people she cares about
9. She is worried that the school may know about her power

This novel is exciting and keeps the reader guessing! I found myself asking question after question! What exactly is her power and how does it work? How did she even get a "power" in the first place? Is she going to go to the school? What would happen to her grandmother if she did go to school? Will she make friends? What about the “hot” student recruiter she met?

Dancia may have escaped the “every day” issues of being a teenager in school, but Delcroix Academy has brought on a whole new list of issues for Dancia to face. Her new friends and love interests are just a small part of Dancia’s journey! This is the first novel in a trilogy and is the start to an exciting new series!

I would recommend this novel to readers who also like “Twilight” and “Harry Potter.” The mystery and romance will keep the reader engaged and on the edge of their seat! Enjoy!


Thanks so much for stopping by Carly Reads, Katie!


No comments:

Post a Comment