Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Meghan Reviews Melissa

Hello Bookworms!

Today I have a review written by one of Dr. Laura’s students, Meghan, of “Girlfriend Material,” by Melissa Kantor.  I gave rave reviews to Melissa Kantor’s “The Breakup Bible” and “The Darlings,” so I’m just as excited as you are to read Meghan’s thoughts on “Girlfriend Material.” 

So without any more delay, meet Meghan …

Hey guys!  My name is Meghan and I just wanted to thank Carly for letting me be a guest blogger on her TBF blog. :-) Just a bit about me … This past May, I graduated from Nazareth College of Rochester with a Bachelor’s Degree in History and a certification in Social Studies and Special Education (Grades 7-12).  I currently am working on my Masters Degree in Literacy Education (Grade 5-12) at my alma mater. 

Due to my background in Social Studies, I tend to gravitate to YA books that are historical or multicultural in nature.  I am a huge fan of Deborah Ellis, the author of the award winning novel, “The Breadwinner.”  In addition, I recently had the opportunity of reading Nujood Ali’s memoir entitled “I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced” and grew in love with her.  What an excellent book… I highly suggest reading it.

I’m really looking forward to utilizing these two particular pieces of YA literature in my future social studies classes to teach students how their counterparts live in other parts of the world.  I think each of these texts provide plenty of teaching opportunities!

I also have come to love Terry Trueman, one of the TBF authors this year and I can’t wait to meet him. I have read both “Stuck in Neutral” and its companion novel “Cruise Control” and think that his texts provide valuable lessons about truly accepting others. 

Enough about me … onto my review on “Girlfriend Material” by TBF author Melissa Kantor.  I have read most of Kantor’s work and I really enjoy it.  I always wanted to read this particular book... I just never had the chance to until this past week.  If you read it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :-)

Kate, the main character, is a sixteen-year-old girl that has never had a boyfriend and wants to spend the summer with her friends in Salt Lake City.   Instead, Kate is forced to go with her mother, Jane, to Cape Cod, Massachusetts. They plan to stay with one of Jane’s old college roommates for the entire summer, as Jane works through some personal issues.

Things look horrible from the beginning for Kate. The summer sure starts off rough.  Jane’s roommate’s daughter, Sarah, wants nothing to do with Kate and she doesn’t have anyone to play tennis with.  She is just all-around bored-out-of-her-mind.   Kate is convinced that her summer is ruined, until she meets Adam.

“Girlfriend Material” is a really cute summer read!  It was very easy to picture exactly what Melissa Kantor wanted to paint in the reader’s mind because of her detailed descriptions. 

Kate was so easy to relate to.  I can remember being 16 and having no clue how to act around boys. It was as if I was reading about myself.  Adam was so sweet and seemed like he would make a great boyfriend.  I just kept turning the pages, hoping everything would work out in the end.

I really, really, really enjoyed this book!  It reminded me that everything happens for a reason. 

Wow, Meghan, thank so much for the review.  Now I’m really anxious to read “Girlfriend Material”!




No comments:

Post a Comment